If you’re new to this blog, you may not be clear on what the HITECH Act is. The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Act (HITECH Act) is health care legislation passed in 2009 as part of the Stimulus Bill (ARRA).. It mandates that Centers for Medicare Medicaid Services (CMS) health care providers adopt electronic medical records / EMR software by 2014.
Medicare Physicians Alert!
Medicaid physicians have until 2016 to start the adoption of electronic health record (EHR) / EMR technology and still get HITECH Act incentive money.
But, physicians who participate in Medicare have to watch the clock.
October 3rd Last Day for EPs to Begin Reporting
In an email from CMS on Monday, the agency is reminding us on EHR Incentive deadline of October 3rd. This will be the last day for eligible professionals to begin their 90-day reporting period for calendar year (CY) 2012 in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program. For EPs, this means that they must begin their consecutive 90-day reporting period by October 3rd in order to attest to meeting meaningful use and be eligible to receive an incentive payment for CY 2012. CMS encourages EPs not to miss the opportunity to participate in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program this year. Begin your reporting period by October 3rd to get on the path to payment for CY 2012.
The email gives additional information for EPs who have already completed their reporting period. CMS has a number of tools available to help prepare for attestation.
- The CMS Eligible Professional Attestation Worksheet – EPs can use this tool to record their meaningful use measures for a reference when attesting for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program in CMS’ web-based Registration and Attestation System.
- The Meaningful Use Attestation Calculator – This online tool allows EPs to test whether or not they would successfully demonstrate meaningful use. There is a tool for both EPs and hospitals.
- The Attestation User Guide for Eligible Professionals – Outlines and details how EPs can successfully attest to meaningful use in the EHR Incentive programs.[Related Article: GAO Reports on EHR Incentive Program]
More Important Dates
More dates to remember for this calendar year:
- September 30, 2012 – Last day of the federal fiscal year. Reporting year ends for eligible hospitals and CAHs.
- October 3, 2012 – Last day for eligible professionals to begin their 90-day reporting period for calendar year 2012 for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program.
- November 30, 2012 – Last day for eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals to register and attest to receive an Incentive Payment for FY 2012 under the Medicare EHR Incentive Program.
- December 31, 2012 – Reporting year ends for eligible professionals
See the timetable for the EHR Incentive Program on the CMS Milestone Timeline factsheet. You can also find updated dates and deadlines on the EHR Incentive Program Overview page in the Important Dates section.
To read original, click 2012 EHR Incentive Program Deadline Approaches
Paper records will go the way of the pager. Your medical practice will have to move to newer technology – EMR technology. Since you must make the transition, you may as well get paid.
The HITECH Act helps to ease the financial pain of the transition,
but you must Act NOW!
about the HITECH Act, Electronic Medical Records or the
Centers for Medicare Medicaid Services (CMS)
EHR incentive program?
I invite you to claim access to an informative
FREE Audio that will
OPEN YOUR EYES!
about Electronic Health Records
Is electronic health record adoption a mystery to you?
Don’t have the time or expertise?
Want to take advantage of EHR incentive money?
Then you need
EHR / EMR Software, HITECH Act, and Meaningful Use assistance!
NOBLE & ASSOCIATES CONSULTING, INC