Glossary of Health Care and Medical Terms
In many cases,
You can click on the healthcare related term below to get a more in-depth description of that glossary term. On the extended definition page, you will be shown the longer description, plus a list of articles related to that term or topic.
General Equivalence Mappings (GEMs) were designed as a general purpose translation tool that can be used by anyone who wants to convert coded data.
GEMs were developed by CMS and CDC, with input from Cooperating Parties:
- American Hospital Association (AHA)
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and
- the team that developed and maintains ICD-10-PCS.
The GEMs are a tool to assist with converting larger ICD-9-CM databases to ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS. For example, GEMs are used to:
- Convert Medicare Severity-Diagnosis Related Groups (MS-DRGs) from an ICD-9-CM-based application to an ICD-10-CM/PCS-based application;
- Convert the Medicare Code Editor to a native ICD-10-CM/PCS-based application; and
- Produce a purpose-built ICD-10-CM/PCS to ICD-9-CM crosswalk for reimbursement called the “ICD-10 Reimbursement Mappings."
Also see: ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS